Whenever a person starts their journey with knitting and crochet, the first project people recommend is usually a dishcloth. Dishcloths? Wash cloth? BORING, right? Wrong!
Both dish and wash cloths are the perfect project for newbies and intermediate knitters and crocheters; they are the perfect projects for learning new stitches on a small scale, they take very little yarn, and they are super fast to work up! Plus, they make wonderful gifts or add ons to gifts for friends and family. Whip up a few of these wash cloths, tie them up with a pretty bow, toss in a handmade or locally-made soap and voila! Perfect gift.
These Farmhouse Wash Cloths are beautifully textured and easy to make. I used Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton which is a braided, mercerized cotton that lends itself to beautiful stitch definition and it comes in a variety of colours. Honestly, I’ve used many different cottons for any kind of cloth and I love how this yarn works up.
100% cotton yarn (Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton, worsted weight, 186 yards/170 meters per 100 gram/3.53 ounce skein)
– 1 skein in Cafe au Lait
6.0mm (J) hook
Gauge is not important
While gauge is not important, you do want to make sure your wash cloths works up into a square. If you find that by the time you reach the end of the pattern repeats and you haven’t made a square, you might have to add on more repeats. If you add on more, keep in mind you’ll have to add more sc to the border.
- Hdc in 2nd chain from hook and across, ch 1, turn. (30 hdc)
- (Sc, dc) across, ch 1, turn. (15 sc, 15 dc)
- Repeat round 2.
- – 5. Hdc across, ch 1, turn (30 hdc)
Repeat rounds 2 – 5 five times ending on round 4. Do not fasten off.
- Sc across the top, placing 3 sc in the first corner. Sc 22 evenly down the first side, placing 3 sc in the next corner. Sc across the bottom, placing 3 sc in the next corner. Sc 22 evenly up the next side, placing 2 sc in the last corner. Attach with a slip stitch to the first sc. Do not turn.
- Ss into the next stitch. Ch 3 (counts as 1dc + ch1), dc in the same stitch. *Skip one, (dc, ch1, dc) in next* repeat from * around, ss into the 2nd chain to join. Fasten off and weave in ends.